- Links on page: Create links that lead to more information and make those links within correlation.
- Unique Content: Create unique content that is found no where else on the internet.
- Social Engagement: Use Social networks to promote your content and create social buzz that people talk about. This creates unique and new content for the search engines to take in.
- Ad Placement: Place most of your ads below the fold. What Google wants is a better user experience and way to many ads will give an impression of a company looking to make revenue rather that providing useful content.
- Avoid Redirects: When someone lands on your page do not immediately send them to another page. These pages with redirects are not good user experiences.
- Buying Links: If you are going to buy links make sure they correlate to your site and that the links are descriptive
I have a few techniques I use here on this site to help my rankings.These tecniques I use work for this site and I have seen the traffic jump drastically and I'm sure by implementing some of these techniques you will also see more targeted traffic.
Correlating Sites: I create blogs from WordPress, Blogger MyOpera and such with links that correlate to each page on my main site. These sites are for informational purposes only and are descriptive with links that include the topic to each page of my main site.
Social Sites: I use Google+, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Chill.com, Zurker and a Stumbleupon just to mention a few to promote my pages. I create contests and usefull content that teaches or gives tips on certain topics that people will like, re-tweet, re-pin(include additional links in your pins to your site) and share to create a viral lift.
Deep Linking: Deep linking will show up in Google's results as additional links below the main result for the search query. make these deep links descriptive and have the same title that matched the page you are linking too. If you have pages that you think are more important, don't put those links no farther 1 to 2 clicks from the main page, this will tell Google about he importance of those links and establish hierarchy.
Tags: Use tags to describe your page by using keyword variations and try to use them within your content on the page.Bookmarking Sites: use these sites to create bookmarks and make them public and descriptive pointing to your site. Google still uses links to rank your site, and when you have popular sites that link back to your pages this gives some of that authority to your pages.
Long Tail Keywords: These type of Keywords are more descriptive and easier to rank for. They can produce more targeted traffic and with Google's new Semantic Search, these types of Keywords will make a big difference in rankings as Google will better understand what the user is searching for.
Google has also released a video of a Search results quality meeting with some points to follow:
They have content that is constantly fresh, the sites have been around for a long time, their social engagement is astronomical and they give value to a good user experience. Like I said above, I would not do a site overhaul unless it is giving a bad user experience and is not offering unique content that cannot be found anywhere else on the internet.